A Splash of Lime
Grand Rapids....come for the churches, stay for the Nascar and Deer Hunting.
Friday, December 30, 2005
others not have way
calm-down-monkey


I remember waiting tables at a Mexican joint called La Pinata. This was maybe 22 years ago. One day, this group of about 8 japanese business men came in for lunch. They spoke very little english. Just enough to get by. Someone back home had obviously told them to be sure and pronounce the letter "L" and to try real hard not to have it sound like an "R", because they were rearry rearry trying hard to do that.

Seriously, I think it took that table a good 15 minutes to spit out "Chili Rellenos" and "Quesidillas". And they made sure to pronounce every L. Hell, when there's two "L"s they must really need to be pronounced properly right?

For a brief moment, I was tempted to explain to them that they had it right for Chili but the Relleno was actually supposed to have a "Y" sound, and same with Quesidilla. I didn't of course. It didn't seem fair.

THIS SITE explores what happens when foreign businesses make signs and tshirts and marketing materials without rearry knowing what they're saying.
posted by Jonathan @ 10:39 AM  
1 Comments:
  • At 6:27 AM, Blogger Jennifer said…

    I rove japanengrish! Here is an authentic sample from my friend, Masa. Sometimes things appear to get a little kinky when they're hung up in the ranguage barrier:

    Dear Jenny

    I will go to hospital and check my kneck. maybe Okay.
    Don't worry it's not big crash.
    and German car is very strong even small.
    Only I got sad thing my new golf club driver wood
    has broke. It was present from famous golfer Mr Isao Aoki

    I will tell to Miho about Noah smiling. and Jenny Miho's sister has separated with his husband so
    We are taking care of her daughter now.
    Her name is Lena, english-japanese girl.
    I will send her pictures

    PS she speak native british english better than us!!


    Best Regards
    MASA

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
Terror Alert Level
 
About Me

adopt your own virtual pet!

Name: Jonathan
Home: Grand Rapids, Michigan, United States
About Me: Just a guy who trying to eek out a living as a graphic designer in SW Michigan.
See my complete profile
Previous Post
Archives
QUOTE OF THE MOMENT

Make no little plans; they have no magic to stir men's blood.

Links
Powered by

15n41n1

BLOGGER