A Splash of Lime
Grand Rapids....come for the churches, stay for the Nascar and Deer Hunting.
Wednesday, November 23, 2005
ANOTHER LIST
Almost every morning when I get to work I make a playlist of music to listen to for the day, or at least a portion thereof. I try to be sure that I keep cycling the new with the old so it all stays kind of fresh. I look at my recently played list, and then I don't use those artists for a little bit. One of the reasons I do this is because music has the same ability to trigger memories as smell does. You smell zippo lighter fluid and it reminds you of grandpa. You hear Reelin In the Years and you remember piling into a car at lunchtime to skip the afternoons classes and go to the park. I like all the remembering I do when songs come on.

Here's my playlist for the day, with little snippets of info to accompany them where I've deemed necessary. I'm always looking for great music...especially local music that I may not have had a chance to get exposed to, so feel free to "hip me" to those scenes if you know of any worthy artists.

Wednesdays Tunage, by Jonathan

1. Push the little daisies, by WEEN. It's just a great song to start a day with.

2. Got Messed Up, by R.L. BURNSIDE. from his album "Wish I Was in Heaven Sitting Down." He died on Sept 2 of this year and I hate the fact that he will not be sharing more of his music with us.

3. Jungle Room - DELBERT McCLINTON - It's Delbert...what can you say. Great stuff

4. ScareCrow - BECK - from his album Guero. A must own album. Seriously.

5. New Slang - THE SHINS - Got turned onto these guys from the Garden State Movie. They win lyrics of the day listed at the end of this post.

6. Franks Wild Years - TOM WAITS

7. Paper Airplane - WILLIE PORTER - This guy is AMAZING! Really talented and in touch. Listen to this song by checking out his site BY CLICKING HERE (you can hear more than just that song on the site) Willie Porter also takes part in 1% For The Planet which is an alliance of businesses committed to leveraging their resources to create a healthier planet. Members recognize their responsibility to and dependence on a healthy environment and donate at least 1% of their annual net revenues to environmental organizations worldwide. The alliance aims to prove that taking environmental responsibility is good for business.

8. And then I'm playing the whole Jack Johnson "In between dreams" CD, because its really good stuff even if everyone in the world has already overplayed this disc.

9. If they haven't let us go early by the time thats over, I'm going to shuffle about 6 cd's worth of cuban mp3's that a friend of mine gave me after recently visiting the land of Castro. I've been threatening to do the ballroom dance thing with my fiancee for years now, so I should probably start getting the rhumba, salsa, mambo juju coarsing through my veins.

Back to work now.

Happy thanksgiving to you all.


NEW SLANG - The Shins

Gold teeth and a curse for this town were all in my mouth.
Only, i don't know how they got out, dear.
Turn me back into the pet that i was when we met.
I was happier then with no mind-set.

And if you'd 'a took to me like
A gull takes to the wind.
Well, i'd 'a jumped from my tree
And i'd a danced like the king of the eyesores
And the rest of our lives would 'a fared well.

New slang when you notice the stripes, the dirt in your fries.
Hope it's right when you die, old and bony.
Dawn breaks like a bull through the hall,
Never should have called
But my head's to the wall and i'm lonely.

And if you'd 'a took to me like
A gull takes to the wind.
Well, i'd 'a jumped from my tree
And i'd a danced like the king of the eyesores
And the rest of our lives would 'a fared well.

God speed all the bakers at dawn may they all cut their thumbs,
And bleed into their buns 'till they melt away.

I'm looking in on the good life i might be doomed never to find.
Without a trust or flaming fields am i too dumb to refine?
And if you'd 'a took to me like
Well i'd a danced like the queen of the eyesores
And the rest of our lives would 'a fared well.
posted by Jonathan @ 8:27 AM  
1 Comments:
  • At 10:30 PM, Blogger fineartist said…

    I have been listening to Willy Porter for the last hour now, wow, soulful, mellow, interesting lyrics, I think I love him…thanks for turning me on to his music. I’ve marked his site on my favorites and will probably buy his cd.

    I hope that you were released from work early, and I hope that you had a “bitchin” thanksgiving. I know there are plenty of words I could have used besides bitchin’ but I really love that goofy word.

    Thanks again for the music, I haven't heard one song that I don't like....It's all good.
    My grammer is on vacation tonight.

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
Terror Alert Level
 
About Me

adopt your own virtual pet!

Name: Jonathan
Home: Grand Rapids, Michigan, United States
About Me: Just a guy who trying to eek out a living as a graphic designer in SW Michigan.
See my complete profile
Previous Post
Archives
QUOTE OF THE MOMENT

Make no little plans; they have no magic to stir men's blood.

Links
Powered by

15n41n1

BLOGGER