A Splash of Lime
Grand Rapids....come for the churches, stay for the Nascar and Deer Hunting.
Friday, January 21, 2005
A WHAT of WHAT????
A long time ago I was having dinner at this steakhouse and decided to cap off the evening with a cup of coffee and a snifter of drambuie.

The waitress was a very nice young lady, but we had a problem. She had never heard of a snifter, or of drambuie.

"A WHAT of WHAT??" she said, clearly thinking that if I was already talking gibberish that maybe she shouldn't be bringing me anything from the bar.

"A snifter of drambuie" I said

"A snifter of what?" she said.

"Drambuie" I said, feeling very thirsty at this point. Drambuie and coffee after a good steak is to me what Cheesy-Poofs are to Cartman on South Park.

She repeated the mantra several times....snifter of drambuie, snifter of drambuie, snifter of drambuie.

"Look...just tell the bartender those 2 words...snifter and drambuie, and they'll know what to do" I say. She leaves the table.

A couple of minutes go by and she arrives back at the table with...lo and behold...a cup of coffee and a snifter of drambuie...and she has this nice big smile because she has obviously learned something new today and lets face it...drambuie makes everyone smile.

"Here is your coffee sir, and your SPHINCTER of drambuie" she says and walks away.

Now it just so happens that I was on a blind date, and let me tell you...sphincter is just not a word that comes up very often in conversation unless you're trying to pick up a proctologist (which I was not).

Fortunately, we didn't have to address the issue because the waitress only got a few steps from the table before she whirled around and came back.

"Did I just SAY what I THINK I said?"

"Yep"

"Oh my god....I'm soooo sorry! I'm a pre-med student and I've been studying the butt all weekend".

She apologized profusely and we all had a good laugh.

A few minutes later she came back to check on us:

"Everything o.k. here? More coffee?"

"My coffee is fine, but I have to say...this drambuie tastes like ass".

I couldn't resist...she laughed, I laughed, my date did not.

I never saw her again.
posted by Jonathan @ 5:43 AM  
2 Comments:
  • At 10:48 AM, Blogger Squeen said…

    just stumbled on your blog right now. brilliant story.

     
  • At 1:30 PM, Blogger captnkurt said…

    John,

    Great story and the blog is shaping up nicely as well! Nice color scheme, BTW.

    As far as the lost date is concerned, consider it a cheap litmus test. Better you found out she was lacking those necessary humor skills sooner rather than later.

    ...sphincter of drambuie...heehee
    Might have to try ordering that one night just to see if the bartender is paying attention.

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
Terror Alert Level
 
About Me

adopt your own virtual pet!

Name: Jonathan
Home: Grand Rapids, Michigan, United States
About Me: Just a guy who trying to eek out a living as a graphic designer in SW Michigan.
See my complete profile
Previous Post
Archives
QUOTE OF THE MOMENT

Make no little plans; they have no magic to stir men's blood.

Links
Powered by

15n41n1

BLOGGER